Staging a home with only furniture and objects is an “easy” task, but it is possible to engage potential home buyers further by staging with all five senses.
Staging this way helps clients feel more at ease and brings the wow factor.
Sight is the most crucial factor in staging a home. It is also the easiest sense to activate when selling a home. When staging your home, take into consideration these few things to open up the potential of your home:
- Remove personal items, such as family photos and hobbies
- Open curtains and blinds to promote bright light
- Turn on all the lights in the home to showcase all its great features
- Place ornate decorations around the house to accentuate specific focal points, like a fireplace mantel or window seat
- Start pre-packing
While the sound might seem like an afterthought when you think of selling your home, it can significantly impact potential buyers. The quieter the house, the more appealing it is.
- Remove noisy animals
- Replace old loud bathroom and hood fans
- Keep the music low and ambient, and avoid disruptive music
- Ask neighbours to be quiet during showings
- Close windows to alleviate annoying outside noises, like screaming kids and motors
- Fix creaking floors and squeaky doors
The home’s smell can either deter buyers or draw them in. When staging your home, keep these things in mind:
- Subtle aromas can enhance a viewer’s experience like candles or essential oils
- Baking some delicious cookies or banana bread would be a good idea
- Remove pet smells, like damp dog or litter boxes
- Avoid cooking anything pungent around showings
Baking some delicious cookies or banana bread for the smell can also be set out for eating, activating the taste sense. Presenting people with food always lightens the mood and makes the house feel cozier. If you don’t have time to bake, placing candy or chocolate bars out will have the same dopamine-releasing effect and improve the mood of any potential buyer.
As someone who enjoys touching every single fabric or surface in a home or store, touch is a big selling feature. When staging your home, don’t overlook exciting textures and patterns that will allow potential buyers to linger in the area for longer. The opposite effect can happen when grit is on the floor or spills on the counter, which can be off-putting. Take into consideration these key points:
- Clean the walls
- Remove dirt from surfaces of the home
- Include hand sanitizer at the door for a refreshing sensation
By activating all five senses when showing a home, the experience will be more positive, and the chances of selling your home are greater.
If you are ready to sell your home or are prepared to make your next purchase, click here or contact your local REALTOR® to get started today.